On June 19, 1865, General Gordon Granger stood on a balcony in Galveston, Texas and declared that all previously enslaved people in Texas were now free. This day is now celebrated widely in America as Juneteenth, and remembered as a day of freedom and emancipation.
That day in Galveston took place two and a half years after the Emancipation Proclamation by Abraham Lincoln and over a month after General Lee’s surrender at Appomattox. It took place a century before Martin Luther King spoke of his dream for racial equality. It took place 155 years before the murders of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor and Ahmaud Arbery.
Racial equality never happens in one defining moment. All those years after Granger stood on that balcony, it is something that still needs to be fought for. This Juneteenth Concept2 will be donating $19,000 to organizations that seek to make an impact on the systemic racism present in our society.
For every person who takes part in our Juneteenth Challenge and completes more than 1900m, we will donate an additional $2 up to a maximum total of $38,000.
We hope you’ll join us in this challenge.
In 2022, we raised $27,368, which was evenly divided between:
How To Participate
Anyone with an online logbook at log.concept2.com can participate in this challenge.
To take part in this challenge, you must sign up from the main Logbook page in June.
- Row, ski or ride on June 19. Note: BikeErg meters are counted as half when applied to the challenge.
- Meters can be done all at once in one workout or over several workouts throughout the day.
- This is an individual challenge. (You do not need to belong to a team to participate.)
- Meters must be entered online.
- RowErg, SkiErg, BikeErg, on water and on snow meters count. You can combine meters.
Incentives and Rewards
Participants who complete at least 1900m in the challenge will get:
- Name inclusion on the Juneteenth Challenge Honor Boards.
- A specially designed downloadable certificate.
- Option to purchase Juneteenth Challenge items from our third-party fulfillment vendor (availability varies by country). All proceeds will go towards the charities above.